Monday, June 20, 2011

Again with the Ashes

It appears that it has happened again.  More cremated remains showing up at a thrift store. Though sadly,  the ashes were not retained this time. From the way it sounds, they ended up in the dust bin. I think that it's interesting that the thrift store put the urn back out on the shelf. I've shopped at this store many times and do have to admit that I've found some good stuff there. Maybe their "what the heck" policy is the reason why:

Ashes found in Anderson Salvation Army

I posted about the cremated remains donated to a thrift store in Michigan  recently and it appears that the story had a happy ending. Thanks to Amber Von Felts for letting me know about the updated story. It turns out that those ashes belonged to a lady who passed away in 2004 and that her remains have now been reunited with her family.

In researching this post, I found that it happens quite frequently! Most recently in Virginia, Georgia and Oregon.  Thrift stores just get more and more intriguing, don't they?

Until next time,
x's and o's,
Eartha (who has always planned to be cremated but might need to have the "responsibility" talk with her family)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

This totally creeps me out! I also had thought cremation was for me, but now I'm not sure...
Sprinkle me somewhere for the love of god! Don't just leave me in a cabinet!

Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping] said...

I've never quite understood the compulsion to hang onto cremains (as I believe the catchy word they coined is). If I was the charity shop worker who'd ditched 'em by accident, I'd have been swiftly emptying the hoover into the urn when the mistake was realised!
Job done!

Eartha Kitsch said...

bettycrafter: I know! We must come up with plans for where we want to be sprinkled. We can NOT have this happen!

Lakota: Yeah, I don't think that I'd care to either. I like the way that the store worker was all, "Oh! It's just a cat!" and swept it up. Way to diffuse the situation! "Those are just cat ashes everywhere. Continue shopping!"

Amber Von Felts said...

Check out the Columbarium in San Fransisco, I wouldn't mind being interned there for a while!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neptune_Society_Columbarium

I have been there and it is creepy/cool and very elegant. Read the wiki, its wild!

Georgie Horn said...

I better check the urn before I buy it! Went to our favorite thrift store in Madison recently.

Jen said...

Wow, that is a weird story! Looks like being sprinkled is the way to go...so to speak.

PhoebeoftheSea said...

oh my - I think the weirdest thing I ever saw at a thrift shop was someone's collection of Size 44 girdles - the harsh kind from maybe 1955 - boney stays and loopy things to hold hose and each one weighed maybe a pound. This was at one of the many Mennonite-run shops in the western Maryland area. The Mister bought EVERY SINGLE ONE. I was livid. He said he did it because he wanted to give the cashier ladies something to discuss after we left.

Anonymous said...

Oh my stars, really?! I would be so horrified if I were given to a Salvation Army. I mean, I love Salvation Army and all, but I don't know if I'd want to stay there forever. I think I would choose to be sprinkled on top of Edgar Allen Poe's grave, because his ghost is probably into some weird and crazy stuff. :)

Eartha Kitsch said...

Amber Von Felts: That looks so incredible! And sounds like a must-see. I'll definitely check it out if I ever get out there.

Georgie: For real! And you did? Did you get any steals and deals? On the 4th, everything is half price. That place is going to be mobbed.

Jen: Ha! Definitely, make those plans. Don't wanna hang around.

Phoebe: Oh my gosh, that's hilarious! I like your Mister's style!

HazelandMare: Ha! I bet you're right. Somewhere interesting would be good. Not the dirty old Salvation Army.