Thursday, December 1, 2016

A Long Way Around And Then Back Again

So how does one start blogging again after... gulp...three years? Three years! I've asked myself that very question but I'm just going to jump on in!

Thank you to everyone who left messages and sent e-mails asking if I am still around. I loved hearing from you and knowing that you care. I did respond to the e-mails so I hope that the robots didn't gobble them up and that you actually got them.

The general consensus from messages seems to be that I either killed myself off in a freak accident (likely) or was kidnapped by a dog fighting cartel (there were times when this was also likely) or just fell clear off of the Earth (if you've seen me walk, then you know it's possible). I think there might also be a faction who thinks that Mr. Kitsch had me rubbed out like he's one of those murderous Dateline NBC husbands. Well, you can rest assured that he's still just in the planning stages and I'm as fine as can be. He hasn't even increased the life insurance on me yet.

All joking aside, the truth about my absence is that not terribly long after my last post, my dear Dad was diagnosed with lung cancer. We celebrated Christmas and then in January, he got the news. It was the most horrible thing ever and he fought it very, very hard. I never knew that my heart could hurt so badly. The doctors told us how long he likely had left but we had to pretend that we didn't know so that he wouldn't give up. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

The treatments were brutal and unfortunately, the cancer was too far along and now he's no longer with us. There is a big, gaping hole in the universe where he stood. I'm one of those people who has a hard time chirping around about fun things when the world is crashing down and well, didn't want to do blog posts about the most depressing situation on the planet so I just kind of disappeared during and after, immersing myself in lost and found pet work.

I'll never forget sitting next to my Dad and watching him pecking around on his computer while his oxygen machine whizzed and gasped. He pulled up my dormant blog and asked "I don't need to follow this still, right? You're not going to write anymore?" I choked back, "Nope" and he deleted. I knew that either way, he'd never read my blog posts again. And in that regard, I'd like to dedicate this post to him. Maybe they get internet access up in Heaven or maybe not - but either way, I bet he knows. He always hated when I quit things, especially if I loved them like I do this.

What I'm getting at is that it took me a while to feel like it was okay to show joy again and then Kapow. The election. Oh Em Jeez. Whaaaa haaaaappened? I really felt like a heel trying to act like everything was rosy after that calamity.  Wouldn't carefree blogging seem too Pollyanna in light of things? Maybe.  And then the devastating wildfires came and also made me wonder if there is room to talk about the happy spots. Then I got an email from a friend who reminded me that in times like these, we need distractions and happiness and frivolity - so I decided that she is right. It's time. For writing and crafting and trying to remember how to use Blogger. So y'all...here I am. I've missed you all like the moon would miss the stars. Do people still blog anymore? I don't even know. Break it to me gently if you kids these days use mind melding to share your thoughts.

Not everything has been bad since I was away. I did get to spend a lot of time with my Dad down in South Carolina - and with the rest of my family too. I also got to meet five new friends who knew me from reading Ranch Dressing. I know them all in real life now and feel very blessed to be able to include them in my circle of friends. We also now have rescue kitty number five and he's my soulmate. A real tuxie dreamboat of a cat who has toe markings that look like spats. Razzle! Dazzle!

And some crazy stuff happened! The TV show "Nashville" filmed in my house. I'll tell you all about that calamity-laced insanity soon. Right after I find my heart pills. And we had a photo shoot for Flea Market Style magazine. I'll also post about that but it's on newsstands right now if you want to take a peek before it's gone.  That was such a fun experience and two of our rescue kitties are now magazine models. The stardom has really gone to their heads and they're waiting on calls from agencies. Oh, aren't we all. 

I also locked myself out of the house in the dead of Winter and got wrote up in the newspaper. See! You KNEW I was up to some kind of embarrassing weirdness, right? Well, you're never wrong. You'd also be right if you guessed that I was in my nightgown and had to talk to neighbors. I guess it's like my Grandmother always said: "If they ain't ever seen it, then they won't know what it is." Words to live by.

More Words To Live By: Ladies, if you're not the kind of mad scientist tinker who can fashion a bra out of flower pots and the random things that you have thrown around your yard, DO hide one in the mailbox in case you ever get locked out of the house. Your neighbors will never be able to un-see your breasts and lord knows, after a woman reaches a certain age, no amount of arm folding is going to conceal them.

It's good to see you all again. I'm dying to know what YOU have been up to for the past three years! Do tell and don't spare a smidge!


Until next time,
x's and o's,
Eartha



40 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, how I've missed your blog. What a wonderful Merry Kitschmas gift to have you back!!!!
Big huge bone-crushing hugs to you.

xoxo,
Joan.

Barbara said...

I have so missed your blogs! I've been trying to "come back" too, and haven't quite gotten there yet. So happy to see your face again and BRING BACK JACK TOO!

Rae - Say It Aint So said...

i'm so excited to see you back. yes, we do need funny stories and beautiful photos in times like these! i've been on a bit of a blogging hiatus too. After posting about losing Priscilla so soon after losing Phyllis, I felt like had nothing to say that would make that better. 2016 has been such a bummer in so many ways. Maybe I'll go and add a post about the new rescue pups in my life. I haven't even introduced Wilma yet!
Can't wait to hear more from you.

SewRuthie said...

Good to see you back, we've had some shocks this side of the pond too and I just keep posting pictures of chair makeovers and new things I've sewn. All the best SewRuthie in Derbyshire England.

Mr. Tiny said...

This is the BEST Christmas present!!!

My dad left us nearly one year ago and I've never known such devastation. My blog has been dying on the vine ever since. Blogging may be a lost art but please know how much joy yours brings us - and joy is anything but frivolous (especially in trying times).

I am so sorry for your tremendous loss. The legacy of a hilarious, talented daughter is one for which I will always be grateful to him. I'm counting your return to Ranch Dressing as a Christmas miracle!

goosefairy said...

Thoughts, I has them.

1) I am so sorry to hear about your father. That's a hard one. I lost both my parents within 4 months of each other, 4 years ago, and we weren't really prepared for it. Out of the blue almost.

2) I was so PLEASED to see you pop up on my feed! I've missed your writing and am glad you're back.

I've missed your wit.

Lilypad said...

I am so excited to see you post again!! My condolences on losing your father. I'm glad you took the time to care for yourself. I hope you're going to publish a picture of your devastatingly handsome new kitty. And, a bra story: I was heading home early one morning from the house of my then-boyfriend (now my husband of 21 years) and since I was in a hurry, I'd just thrown on a t-shirt. (First time I'd ever left the house without a bra, I swear.) Of course, I had car trouble on the way and when I was at the gas station, waiting for a tow truck, I sure wished I'd put on a bra that day. That was about 22 years and 30+ pounds ago. I think I'd faint dead away if it happened again!
Your pal in Seattle, Lilypad

Pellibaby said...

ABSOLUTELY THRILLED TO HAVE YOU BACK!

Losing parents changes who you are. The trick is finding joy in your new normal.

The normal you didn't choose, would never choose!

xoxo...

Unknown said...

welcome back to just plane crazy normal - I am still here , glad you are too .

mary scott said...

I was so excited to find you in my inbox today, because I missed you dearly. But it's so good you could be with your dad & family & take much needed time for yourself. 2016 has been a bad year for me & a couple friends personally (deaths, diagnosis of cancer in 1 of my rescue cats, the shootings, the campaigning & election). We NEED your blog posts! I remember feeling like I'd never smile again when my dad died > 28 years ago. It shakes your foundation. Looking forward to some story telling from you!

Unknown said...

SO glad you are back! I love your wit and humor! I also lost my dear little mommy this year. This is just another season in our lives. Time does heal, thank the good Lord!
Welcome, welcome back!

Lucky Charm Vintage said...

Yay Eartha!
You don't know how happy it makes me to have you blogging again! I should have e-mailed you because I thought of you often and wondered where you went, but I didn't want to seem a creeper and sometimes folks just need to go away for a while. I'm so sorry about your dad. My dad also passed away last year from lung cancer. It's just the worst and I'm sorry to hear it happened in your family. But your friend is right! We need some joy and laughter and you are awesome at bringing both. Big love❤️

Liz said...

I am so glad you are back! Love reading your blog. My condolences on your father's passing.

Unknown said...

Eartha, I'm so glad that you're alright! My mom and I always read your posts together (she grew up in Chattanooga, TN) and we were SO WORRIED when you disappeared. We're sorry to hear about your father.

Jackie Jardine said...

Eartha, I'm so sorry to hear about your father's passing. But I bet he'd be proud of you picking back up with your blog. And I'm happy you're back. I'll have to check out Flea Market Style to see the photo spread---love that magazine!

Welcome back to the blogosphere,
Jackie J @ Let's Go Thrifting
www.LetsGoThriftingBlog.com

Brenda said...

So sorry about your father. I'm glad you took the time to care for yourself. I'm also selfishly glad that you're writing again. Peace to you, Brenda

Unknown said...

I'm grateful you're back, especially after hearing about your absence.
Much love to you and yours, plus the kitties.
-Shelley(ness)

bitter69uk said...

Great to have you back - you've been missed x

tubby3pug said...

I was a silent blog follower of your blog for years and im so sorry about your dad. I lost my dad for years ago and started my blog retro rover in part as a substitute for the talks we used to have

steph r. said...

Hooray! I'm so thrilled to see your blog pop up in my feed again! Your killer wit and style have been sorely missed. I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your dad. There's been so much heartbreak this year too, but I'm glad you're going to write again. You're a hoot and it truly is heartening to see blogs like yours. Take care! (PS: cats have been a bright point in my life the past year too. Cats Forever!)

MySpecialAgent said...

I'm so happy to see you back. I gave up blogging too because I lost my brother to suicide among other crappy life happenings. You inspire me to get back at it.
Sorry about your dad. *hugs*

Sara In AZ said...

Wow girl, SO amazeballs to see you back blogging again...you were most definitely missed! I'm pretty sure that it's only us old cronies that take to typing up blog posts these days....the young'ns certainly have the lock on this mind meld business! Can't wait to rad more from ya, you can put a smile on my face like no one else! XO

Unknown said...

Hi Eartha,

I am happy to see you back, and so sorry about your dad.
Look for ward to reading your posts again.

Jodi said...

I've really missed your super funny blog. I was flipping through my new Flea Market magazine and I saw the picture with all of the cleaning products and I was like, I bet anything that's Eartha Kitsch's house, flipped back a few pages and I was right. I'm real sorry about your Dad.

Jungle Dream Pagoda said...


So very sorry for the loss of your dad. My blog began to die years ago...when I lost mine...I tried to blog...but lost the spirit. Now I just quietly post pics on Instagram...I think it's time for a renaissance in blogging ! We need something happy to look at instead of peering into Facebook and fearing the end of the world!
Can't wait for more posts !

Kim Campbell said...

I am so sorry about your dad. It's rough when our parents encounter horrible health issues. I am struggling with this right now. I am SO glad to see you blogging again and so glad I've kept you in my blogger feed. Monumental hugs to you and yours!

Susie Q. said...

During your hiatus I've driven past your house a few times. No, I am not a stalker, but depending on the route taken, I pass your place on the way to my great aunt's house. I never saw a big black wreath on the door or a "for sale" sign in the yard, so I assumed you were either tired of blogging, wanted privacy, etc.
I'm sorry about your dad. I have a family member who is currently fighting cancer, so...yeah. Hugs.
So I picked up the magazine you mentioned just a few days ago. I flipped it open and gasped, "That's Eartha Kitsch's kitchen!!" So now I know your real name and got to see a room I've never seen on the blog (bedroom).
I never DID delete the link for your blog, am I a faithful follower or what? The mag article mentioned that you had a blog, which is why I excitedly came back to have a look. I love your style, but I also love the tales of your adventures.
Luckily I am still able to cross my arms across my chest...!

Maureen said...

I'm so sorry about your dad. 2016 has not been a good year for many people.

I am excited to see you blogging again. I really miss blogs, I've been reading them since they used to be called online journals. I like hearing the little things people are up to, things about where they live, what they eat, kids, pets-bring it!

Christaface said...

Oh, I haven't checked my blog reader in weeks, and this is such an awesome surprise! Glad you're back in the blogosphere. So very sorry to hear about your dad- that is awful news. So glad you found your way back to this space- looking forward to hearing more from you! :-)

Y said...

Something told me to check your blog last night...and, YOU'RE BACK!!!!!!!!! I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. Nothing I say will make it any better. Only time will help. Sooo glad to see you're back!

susie said...

Oh my gosh! I'm so excited you'll be back to blogging, Eartha! So sorry about your loss. Here's to better times in 2017 *chugs directly from the wine bottle*

jd said...

It's like Christmas came early! Add me to the many who are excited to see your return to blogging. Loss of awesome parents is a terrible price we pay for privilege of having been brought up by them, but even that loss is a parting gift to us to strengthen our spirit. At least, that's what I tell myself--and try to believe. But maudlin musings aside, can't wait to read about your adventures once more. Thank you for coming back to us~

Dana@Mid2Mod said...

Glad you're back! A few of us still have active blogs, but many don't anymore. I gave up posting every day quite some time ago, but I still jot down a few things when the spirit moves me.

Jen said...

My goodness, Eartha, what years you have had. I am so sorry as to be pretty much stunned into sad, heartbroken silence for you. Yet despite the pain, your good-natured humor sparkles through, and that is a genuinely beautiful & cheering thing to see. (No doubt the neighborly misadventures are part of this...life goes on, in all of its sometimes bizarre oddness, and maybe that is a good thing!)

It is wonderful to see your blog pop back to life, especially at Christmastime. Welcome back!

xoxox

Welcome to DeluxeVille said...

Nice to see you again! You've been missed!
❤️

Christine76 said...

So glad you are back!

Pat said...

So glad to see you are back! I can't quite believe it's been years. Saw Flea Market Style, flipped pages and saw your kitchen floor and thought to myself, hey, I know that floor! When the mag mentioned you had a blog, I checked in and was so surprised to see you again. Have always loved your fun take on things so will look forward to reading and seeing what you are up to.
So sorry about your Dad; loved that you dedicated this post to him.

Laura said...

It did me good to see a new post on your blog, ma'am. I am so sorry to hear about your Dad. Broken hearts don't always combine well with blogging, I know, but I hope it does your heart some mending to know how many people missed your voice and are glad you're back. <3

Adrienne said...

I am so sorry to hear about your Dad! Hugs to you.

SusieQT said...

So glad you came back, if only for a bit. ;) I am going through the exact same scenario with my dad. They day after my birthday (March 1) he was diagnosed with stage 4 glioblastoma brain cancer. He is fighting hard, but not winning. It sucks so bad to watch him suffer and my mom is trying so hard to hold everything together. We DO need to laugh still and hopefully little positive things like blogs and humor can help us keep one foot on the sanity wagon! Huge hugs from SusieQT of Practice in Time!