Saturday, June 2, 2012

Squirrel Party!


Yep, there is no doubt about it. I love squirrels. Real ones. Fake ones. Oh my gosh, do I. Recently, I was telling you all about how I also love crafts made out of nuts. Still with me? I got the cutest little guy in the mail this week from the fabulous Betty Crafter.




Isn't he sweet? He's made out of walnuts. I bet his little log is meant to hold toothpicks.

Thanks to Betty's kindness, now I have three nut squirrels and from what I hear, three of anything starts a collection. Look out world!

In celebration of taking this new guy into the fold and cementing a new collection, I thought we'd have a squirrel party today. And what do we need for a party? Food! How about acorns?


With the help of a couple of friends, let's gather the ingredients.


We'll need pretzel sticks, donut holes, nuts or chocolate sprinkles, and milk chocolate chips.


And since it's a party, we'll just skip to the finished product!



These were so easy. You just melt the chocolate of your choice (I've also heard that you can use Nutella unmelted) and dip the tops of the donut holes into it. Then you dip in chopped nuts or chocolate sprinkles. Insert a half of a pretzel stick and voila! acorns! These are only meant for human consumption but I did toss out some peanuts on the patio for our squirrel friends in their honor.

For our party entertainment, how about an adorable little video? Everyone knows that the late, great Bob Ross was as sweet as those happy little clouds that he painted but what could be even better? Why, Bob Ross bottle feeding a baby squirrel - that's what. Bring it!





Was that adorable or what?? Thanks for coming to my impromptu Squirrel Party! I hope that you all have a great weekend!

Until next time,
x's and o's,
Eartha

18 comments:

Rita@thissortaoldlife said...

Some days it is so hard to fully embrace my new status as a gluten-free being. Today is now one of those days. Would've been ALL over this in my former life. Sigh.

Eartha Kitsch said...

Gluten free is SO hard. I feel for you! Just remember though that you'll feel so much better for it and that's SO much better than a random doughnut hole. :)

Laura said...

When I read "Squirrel Party," it made me think of a bunch of little boys and a pile of sugary snacks (sorry, it's just where I'm coming from). Turns out I was half right. I am SO doing the acorn trick for the Halloween party this October (seems miles away now, doesn't it?) And I'll probably share some with the little boys, too. :)

Lisa said...

My grandaddy used to love to tell about the time he tried to feed a squirrel in his backyard some peanuts he happened to be eating-- long story short, he got bit! No good deed goes unpunished. Glad Bob Ross had better luck with that little cute-i-tude. I CANNOT WAIT TO MAKE DONUT HOLE ACORNS, btw.

Rae - Say It Aint So said...

oh goodness! i love this post. you know i'm totally into squirrels too! i wish i would have remembered the little walnut dude i got you on saturday so he could have joined in! maybe i'll leave it on your porch one day like a creep. haha. i love the acorn snacks! i think i need to throw a woodland themed party...

What Remains Now said...

I love seeing your vintage finds. It's amazing how many I recognize. My aunt had a set of the squirrels that are gracing your lovely acorn treats. A blast from the past.

chutti said...

I gotta say that I love seeing you make a party. Skwirls. Lil devils, they are. And who better to have to a party???

I shall definitely be making acorns this way.

FWIW-when hubs was misdiagnosed as celiac, I got real good making gluten free donuts. One of the easier gluten free sweeties to make. Waaaay easier than the gluten free ravioli. Could happen!

Acorns! Whee!

BEESTLYproducts said...

I adore this post! Unfortunately, I cannot same the same about squirrels anymore. Last winter we had a family of them living above our bedroom and they scratched at the ceiling incessantly! It was terrible!
When the exterminator came to put the cruelty free traps in the attic he called me up to see the space and everything was covered in squirrel blood. Not kidding. He suspected that they were having turf wars above our bed. It was really gory; a woodland crime scene.
Now that Ive seen what those lil' guys are capable of, I'm sort of afraid of them.

Betty Crafter said...

I'm so glad he's at home! And I'm totally going to make those donut acorns. Genius!
As my contribution to the squirrel party, I give you my favorite guilty pleasure, Sugar Bush Squirrel - a right wing social satire squirrel. Yes, you heard that right.
http://sugarbushsquirrel.com/

Leah said...

Awesome post! I love your style of writing - and squirrels and Bob Ross! I volunteer at a wildlife hospital so I've been lucky enough to bottle feed (with a syringe instead of an actual bottle) a few baby squirrels. It's an amazing experience.

A Day in the Life of One Girl said...

Adorable OVERLOAD! I don't think those treats could get any cuter.

Bob!! We were just talking about him the other day! How he was like the kindest man ever.

I want to feed a baby fox

Lauren Leggatt said...

ahhhh! I cant get over the amount of cuteness in one post! :) those little acorn treats are so so adorable! oh my goodness this is amazing! :)

Jen said...

Oh, the little treats are SO cute! Wow! i am going to have to figure out a way to make them gluten-free and use them in a...a squirrel-themed tiki party on our deck! ;P

Adrienne said...

I love squirrels too! These treats look adorable and yummy :)

Adrienne
What Lola Wants

Mr. Tiny said...

I'm not sure if you've ever seen this one, but it looks to be right up your Oak Tree!!! This squirrel defined squirrel party!!!

http://life.time.com/curiosities/a-squirrels-guide-to-fashion/#1

lilynymph said...

Did u know that I used to have a pet squirrel? Oh yes I did! Her name was Buddy (as in rosebud) and she was very smart and very cute. We naturalized her carefully and she made friends with the good squirrels of the hood. They would all come to the house for peanuts and bird feeder raids. Seriously there was a mob of them. In hindsight I guess her making friends was a pain but it was a really cool experience and we got to save a little baby's life! Anyways if I ever get my squirrel song recorded I'll send it your way :)

Colleen E. Conrad said...

That is the most perfect snack I've seen in my entire life. :)
Chip, chip!

Christaface said...

I just saw this youtube video of a squirrel being adopted by kittens, that made me think of you- maybe you've seen it already, but in case you haven't here it is: http://youtu.be/fHT1nAX46dM

It actually made me tear up! I mean- the squirrel learns to purr. It's pretty great! ;-)