Monday, July 16, 2012

Kitty Will Be Missed

My heart is so heavy tonight after hearing about the death of Kitty Wells. Driving in the car, I switched on the radio and the announcer was talking about Kitty's life. "Oh cool!" I chirped, turning up the volume as I did a little dance in my seat. It was then that I realized that he was talking about her in the past tense.  Tears welled up in my eyes as the audio piece ended with her date of death.  I couldn't breathe for a minute. I'd never before lived in a world where Kitty was past tense. I still can't bear to think about it. One left turn of the car and then a right would take me past her house, but I couldn't bear to do so.

I can't put my finger on it but my love for Kitty crosses over from music appreciation into a realm where she felt like family to me. I remember as a girl, realizing that she had the same drawl that I did and though she didn't belt it out, she got her heart across in every single line. Quite often, her songs were very melancholy but sweet - like when a good friend tells you a story about her life that makes you love her more than you did five minutes ago. She has always reminded me of my own strong, lovely and vivacious female relatives and with her beautiful ranch house nearby, she actually did feel like family. Or at least a neighbor.

The Mister and I would always discuss fantastic plans when we drove past her house - how one day we'd stop and ring her doorbell and just say hello. Maybe we'd even plan it in advance and take along some of her records and a big plate of cookies to prove to her that we cared. But we never did. We just drove past her house time after time, telling only ourselves what a treasure she was. And so she died, right there in that very home with family around her as it should be.

She was and always will truly be one of my role models, idols and imaginary coffee klatch partners. I'm sending lots of love out to Miss Kitty tonight. I'm sure that she's gone on to meet with her husband Johnnie and their daughter Ruby up there on the great big ole front porch in the sky. She will be missed.











Until next time,
x's and o's,
Eartha




9 comments:

Dana@Mid2Mod said...

How well I remember listening to Kitty Wells on my grandmother's radio when I was a kid. She will be missed.

Anonymous said...

A real sad day in Nashville, for sure!

Caryn said...

Oh wow how sad, I hadn't heard :( But had to comment just because Kitty Wells was who first led me to your blog!! Actually, it was her gorgeous house. I was searching online trying to find more info about our dream ranch home we bought last year and stumbled across your story about her house. When I saw the pic I got so excited... that's our house!! Okay, almost, it's the much smaller version of Kitty's house :) We don't have Nashville music star pocketbooks for sure. Anyway, very sad that another legend from the good old days is gone. I'll make it a point today to listen to some honky tonk in her memory!

SUZY8-TRACK said...

Very sad news indeed!

Sara In AZ said...

I thought of you immediately when I heard this on TV....so very sad. Yes, Kitty will be missed.

Lisa said...

I was really sad to hear the news of her passing. Saunders is on the way to my parents' house from my house, so I would always look at her house as I drove by and think "She's in there! Right now! How crazy is that?!" like you guys. I looked it up once on the tax assessor's website (because I am totally not a stalker, nope)-- did you know she has an indoor pool? It says so right on the floorplans! A ranch house in Madison with an indoor pool...the very definition of glamour to me.

Danielle said...

awe, i love this post and your heartwarming sentiments. I didn't know much about her, but your post will have me listening to her music now.

danielle thompson

Atomic Auntie said...

Another country great gone. Farewell, Kitty.

Unknown said...

I never knew that much about her other than she was a legend around these parts...thanks so much for sharing your sweet kitty tinged memories.