Saturday, February 2, 2013

Groundhogs in Love

We had snow this morning! Of course, it happened on the one morning that I slept in. Last night, I whined around about how tired I was and declared to the Mister and the kitties that this morning, I was going to sleep until my body woke me up. Curtains closed tight. No alarm clocks. No four o'clock kitty feedings. They nicely tiptoed around the house and let me sleep in - which was glorious! But when I woke up, I was informed that we'd had the most beautiful snow that fell for about three hours - and that now, the sun was up and it was all melted away. I missed it all.

D'oh!

The sun went back into hiding and I've been watching the sky for more snow all day but not a single flake has fallen. It's also left the house too dark to nicely photograph any thrift store finds from yesterday. So instead.....Groundhogs in Love!




Awww!

I've never taken much stock in Groundhog Day (which is today) but I do love food that looks like animals. I started out by planning on making two dozen cupcakes with little groundhogs poking out of each one but then I became lazy and decided to turn the rest of the batter into cake layer. This is how you can tell that I'm not a great food blogger. I'm sure that food bloggers also have "Oh, Screw It!" kinds of days too but they'd be too smart to tell you about it and ruin the elusion that everything always turns out perfect and as planned.


Besides, I think that the groundhogs on the cupcakes were looking a little too terrified anyway!

This is a total "Don't eat me!!" look. 



I hope that you all are having a great (and non-terrifying) Saturday! 


Until next time,
x's and o's,
Eartha






10 comments:

What Remains Now said...

Adorable! I'm doing this next year...not the sleeping through the snow part, the groundhog cake/cupcakes part.

http://jennyscosmicthings.blogspot.com/ said...

That is the cutest cake ever!

Unknown said...

You spend all of your pocket money on googly eyes, don't you?

Laura said...

Please tell me that you helped yourself to the entire remaining package of nutter butter cookies. I would have. :)

jaymie said...

oh my! It would be heaven to be your neighbor, We would have so much fun!

cheshirecat666 said...

NOOO!!! This is the snow version of that one famous short story where the kid is locked in the closet on the one day it rains...Ray Bradbury? Issac Asamov? That is just tragic :(

meanwhile,the food was good at least!

Rae - Say It Aint So said...

ah! that cupcake! i love it so much, especially his terrified eyes!
and i hate to say it but it really was the prettiest snow! i saw it because I had been up since 5 because I had to go to work. i'm hoping we'll get another snow day this winter, and I'll be off.

Mick said...

I love it! So creative!

Anonymous said...

I, also, had decided to make groundhog day cupcakes but got lazy and made a cake instead. Your groundhogs are definitely better than mine. I didn't even take a picture but I drew the groundhog on a piece of paper and use an old Lean Cuisine box as the back, taped to a chopstick to insert in the cake. The kicker was when my 10 year old son asked what I was doing and I said "making a groundhog cake", like it was the most normal thing in the world. His eyes got really big and he said "what exactly does that taste like?", ha ha.

Lisa said...

"Don't eat me! DON'T EEEAAAAT MEEEE!" Why are his terrified little eyes so compelling? I love food that looks like animals, too- and this is UH DOR ABLE.