Friday, March 30, 2012

Go Anthro or Go Home!

For a long time, I've had a love for anthropomorphic things. Anthropomorphism is when non-human things take on human characteristics. For instance, a bunny wearing pants or a pig riding a bicycle. Or a banana that dresses like Carmen Miranda and sings.


And especially when bears wear clothes and watch TV.



Good, good stuff.

Last year, my friend Barbara sent me an eBay link for a group of prints that she thought I'd like. I couldn't afford them but the Mister got wind of them and surprised me with them for my birthday.



After an attempt at research, I still don't know much about them except that they were done by a man named Henry Rox and that they're from the 1960's. I'd seen the crying onion one before but none of the others. I think that they're absolutely hilarious and so well done and wanted to share some here with you. Keep in mind that these are made with fruits and vegetables and other food items. I love to look closely at them and see what ingenious uses of things are shown.











Here are some that I don't own yet but am on the hunt for. I think that the first two are especially brilliant.







I usually give credit for sources but those last three were found on a website that is in deep trouble with the Better Business Bureau for taking money and not delivering any items so just this once, I'm not going to link back. We'll just give credit to Henry Rox because he was a genius. If you do buy any of these beauties from a company on the internet, look it up on the BBB website first to save yourself some heartaches. These do cycle through eBay and Etsy from time to time, usually only one print here and there.

If you know anything about Henry Rox, please let me know. I'd love to know more about him and these creations. The internet is pretty void of info about them.

Until next time,
x's and o's,
Eartha

17 comments:

What Remains Now said...

So cool. I had never heard of Henry Rox. Glad you wrote about this.

GoVintage said...

This little jumbo is so cute!!
http://www.foodposter.com/vegetables/carrot10296666.html

Barbara said...

I really had no idea that your hubby caught wind of my weird find. Any time I see a vegetable with a face, I think of you. Is that odd?

Lisa said...

I love these! I think the one ironing the salami is my favorite... hope you can add him to your (already awesome) collection some day!!

Unknown said...

These are the greatest thing I've ever seen. So the pear one...The pear is playing a guitar- also a pear...so he's playing with himself?

Miriam said...

Me too!! And those pictures...they are craziness.

Sara In AZ said...

Those pics completely ROCK! Yay for the Mr for surprising you on your birthday with them!!!

Rae - Say It Aint So said...

oh my gosh i can't decide which one i like best! maybe mr tomato being scared of the cucumber dude. the guy ironing the salami is pretty awesome too!

Laura said...

I had no idea you had to iron your salami. And now I feel compelled to tell you that I once grew an eggplant that looked exactly like the head of Richard Nixon. No lie.

danielle thompson said...

These are so funny. Love them. Hey, I had no idea you were in Nashville! I've been wanting to visit for the longest time now. I'm in Atlanta, only about a 4 hr drive.. we should meet up when I go! I bet you know all of the great places to shop & dine. ; )

erin said...

I share a similar love (although I usually refer to this as 'food with faces'). It reminds me of peewees playhouse. I just recently started collecting all the 70s 'funny faces' cups.

Sponge Curlers and Cupcakes said...

(Good one Kimmie! LMAO here in the middle of the night! A good chuckle is good for an insomniac I'm thinking ;- )

These pictures are adorable & hilarious at the same time. I think the onion one was quite popular in the 60's cause it looks very familiar. What a sweet Mr. you have. You should create a picture of a "good egg" and name it after him for his sweet deed :-)

I'll definitely be keeping my eye open for these now!

First time I've been here & enjoying it very much. And thank you Eartha for stopping by my blog too. I appreciate the company.
~Vickie~

Pam Kueber said...

Those anthro prints are amazing -- hilarious!!!!

OP SHOP MAMA said...

I'm in love! Those are absolutely brilliant! I'm going to be looking out for Henry Rox now.. Wonder if any of his stuff made it down to NZ..

Erika said...

Hi Eartha! Love your blog and this post reminded of something that I'm sure will interest you. I did a google search of Henry Rox and was looking at some of his images of fruit playing instruments, when that Deja Vu feeling hit me. Have you ever seen the movie Strike Up the Band (1940) with Judy Garland and Mickey Roonie? It's a very silly, but sweet 40's teen movie, one of many Mickey and Judy did together. Mickey plays an aspiring musician, and in a bizarre and very long dream sequence, he imagines conducting an orchestra of fruits and vegetables. Sure enough, the fruit models were designed by Henry Rox! I tried to find a Youtube video but I couldn't. But, you should totally check this movie out sometime, as I know you'd love it!

BEESTLYproducts said...

omigod! if i don't find these for myself, i'll die. i know it.

Deanna Jarvis said...

So fun to find your site. We've had the tomato bather under the sunflower for probably 55 years. Originally purchased as a gift for my husband's mother, she loved it, said it always made her smile. The others you have on your site are even more delightful.