Saturday, March 31, 2012

You Must Be Nuts!

I wanted to share a new collection with you. Creatures made from nuts!

I know...you're starting to think that ole Eartha is the one that's nuts but stick with me. A while back, I found this guy down in Franklin, Tennessee.




A little squirrel made from black walnuts with a little chenille tail and legs. Eee! He's even mounted onto his own little stump.

Then today, I found this little skunk in the form of an ashtray stand. Also black walnuts!



I have to admit that if I had time to sit around and craft things out of nuts, I totally would. Like crazy. But I get it honest. The other night, I was going through some old family photos when I came across this old one of my great grandmother and her brother.




And then I noticed behind her:



Yeah, baby! A walnut with eyes! Kapow!


For the life of me, I can't read what the plaque says - something about keeping keys safe, I'm sure. I know that plaque went the way of a thrift store at least twenty years ago and I've already about made myself batty doing Google, eBay and Etsy searches. If anyone comes across one of these babies, please let me know. I'd at least like to know what the plaque says. I'm sure it's something terribly witty. A nut limerick or such.

Until next time,
x's and o's,
Eartha

12 comments:

art deco dame said...

Those are kitsch-tastic!

Sara In AZ said...

I LOVE those little nut animals, they are FAB girl! And I will forever be on the lookout for that key holder with the googly eyes!

Rae - Say It Aint So said...

girl you know i love a good nut craft! i have a skunk and squirrel too. I love them SO SO SO MUCH. and i really love the look of that little nut with skinny little legs on the plaque!

suzieQ said...

Aw, wish I knew what it says, something about the hooks helping you not go nuts looking for your keys, and look at the old skeleton key there, that's collectable too. Wouldn't your great grandma love that you want the holder?

Jen said...

Hee hee hee! Those are marvellous!

Barbara said...

well, you know I'm always on the lookout for you...I'll add this to the list!

Kitsch and Curious said...

First the fruit and veg, and now the nuts. Is there anything that doesn't look better all kitschified with googly eyes? I don't think so!

SusieQT said...

I'll definitely keep an eye out for that plaque- since my son collects them, we always look for them!

BEESTLYproducts said...

ohhhhh!!!! i love love love this burgeoning collection. too much, actually. it's a little amy sedaris meets pack o' fun.

Amy said...

This post screams Amy Sedaris. I love her and her crazy crafts. Will totally keep my eye out for the plaque. I swear it's in our blood. My grandpa had the sickness. He would go to the blvd and come back with a truckload of "crap"...which I would call "gold".

Betty Crafter said...

Ok Eartha - I'm on the hunt! If I come across any nutty crafts they are totally yours. That squirrel is killing me by the way.

hannah said...

just saw this-i know it isn't the same as your grandma's key holder, but it's so similar i just wanted to point it out... http://www.etsy.com/listing/98934518/just-nutty-anthropomorphic-fun-kitsch?ref=&sref=